Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gmay  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2024 4:38:00 PM(UTC)

Hi folks,

I and my husband want to go on a one-way canoe trip on the Quetico Trail from Atikokan to the Saganaga area/north BWCWA in September.  We need a ride to Atikokan with our canoe.  

Anyone know of a service or transportation to Atikokan, or want to share rides?

Thanks 

Sponsor
BillConner  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2024 3:53:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I have read Piragis has provided this, but iirc 5 or 6 years ago it was over $600. That was to Beaverhouse. If you have a regular outfitter, call them.

I've not heard of it in BWCA/Q area, but in Adirondacks outfitters regularly will shuttle your car from one area to another, basically providing a driver.
bobrowicz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2024 8:46:21 AM(UTC)

To the best of my knowledge, the only shuttle service on the Canadian side is Quetico Outfitters in Atikokan. The farthest point they list from Atikokan on their website is the Thunder Bay Airport. https://queticooutfitters.com/quetico-shuttles/

I honestly doubt you'll find an outfitter who'll drive you across the border - there are treaty rules that allow guides to cross the border by water, but a commercial outfitter crossing the border by land would require a work visa.

However, I might be able to offer you an alternative:

Saganaga connects to Northern Light Lake to the east on the Canadian side; there is a public boat launch on the east side of Northern Light. If you ended your trip there, instead on in the BWCA, you might be able to convince Quetico Outfitters to shuttle you from there to Atikokan.